If you've been shopping for a new garage door recently, you may be overwhelmed by the choices available. There are vinyl doors, fiberglass doors, metal doors and wooden doors of all shapes and sizes. If you haven't considered a steel garage door, it's time to take a look at this reliable favorite. Steel garage doors are not only among the least expensive on the market; they offer a myriad of other benefits.
Here are some advantages to choosing a steel garage door:
1. Price. A steel garage door is quite a bit less expensive than a wooden door or even a vinyl one. The average price for a steel garage door is around $1,000 including installation.
2. Security. Steel garage doors offer a secure barrier between your home and those who consider breaking into it. Steel doors aren't able to be easily cut as wooden and vinyl doors can be. In addition, steel doors are fire-proof and can help to give your family precious extra minutes to escape your home in the event of a fire.
3. Low maintenance. Little maintenance is required to keep your steel garage door looking attractive. This type of door doesn't have to be re-painted or re-stained periodically like wooden doors do. Plus, since steel doors weigh considerably less than wooden doors, you'll have less wear and tear on the garage door opener when you opt for a steel door.
4. Water-resistant. While wooden doors can warp or rot over time when exposed to water, a steel door can stand up to whatever Mother Nature has to offer.
5. Versatility. Steel garage doors come in a wide range of colors and sizes. They can be stamped with designs or left as sleek, unadorned panels. There's a steel door to complement most any type of architecture and design style.
6. Energy savings. Steel garage doors generally do a better job at keeping your garage from heating up during the summer and cooling down during the winter. Today's steel doors are constructed with a layer of insulation between two steel panels. This extra insulation can help save you money on your monthly utility bills, prolong the life of your heating and cooling systems (since they won't have to work so hard) and conserve energy, which is good for the planet.
While a steel garage door may not be the best choice for every homeowner, this type of door is affordable, attractive and durable.
For more information and options, talk with a garage door specialist, such as those at Jayton Door Corporation.